PUC-RIO & CIVIL AND ENVIRONMENTAL ENGINEERING DEPARTMENT
The Pontifical Catholic University of Rio de Janeiro, PUC-Rio, was founded on October 31st, 1940 by Cardinal D. Sebastião Leme and Father Leonel Franca, SJ (first rector of the institution). It was named Catholic Faculty and recognized by the decree-law No. 6,409, signed by President Getúlio Vargas on October 30th, 1940. It was officially recognized as the Catholic University of Rio de Janeiro by the decree-law No. 8,681, on January 15th, 1946. On January 20th, 1947, the university was granted the title of Pontifical by Pope Pius XII.
The Civil Engineering course was created on January 21st, 1948, along with the creation of the Polytechnic School. At the time, it worked in Rua São Clemente, Botafogo, next to Colégio Santo Inácio. The graduation of the first engineering class of the Polytechnic School of PUC-Rio took place in 1952. In 1955, with the inauguration of the Gávea Campus, the course moved to Marquês de São Vicente Street. In 1964, it joined the newly created Scientific Technical Center of PUC-Rio, CTC, recognized as an excellence center on September 4th, 1969, by CNPq.
UNDERGRADUATION: CIVIL ENGINEERING AND ASSOCIATED COURSES – HISTORICAL DATA
In the 2000s, DEC began to play a significant role in the development of new undergraduate programs of PUC-Rio, namely: Architecture and Urbanism (course that began in 2002 and that involves both the CTC and the Center of Theology and Human Sciences, CTCH); and Environmental and Oil Engineering Courses (CTC multi-departmental courses initiated in 2002 and 2005, respectively).
ACADEMIC GRADUATE PROGRAM
The Civil Engineering Graduate Program of PUC-Rio was founded in 1965, being the first Stricto Sensu program of this nature, recognized by CAPES, implemented in Brazil.
In the beginning, the Master’s Program involved the areas of Structures and Water Resources. In 1967 the area of Geotechnics was introduced. At the end of the 70’s, the fields of focus of the program became the ones that are still prevailing today, Structures and Geotechnics. In 1984 the Doctoral Program in Civil Engineering was created, with the area of Geotechnics absorbing, in a way, some of the aspects of the area of water resources. At the beginning of the 80’s, the Structures area introduced the nationally pioneering line of research, Non-Conventional Materials, now known as Composite Materials. In the middle of the same decade, the area of Geotechnics introduced the also nationally pioneering line of research, Environmental Geotechnics. Subsequently, in the mid-90s, the line of research in Petroleum Geomechanics was introduced in the area of Geotechnics, also in a pioneering way in the country.
The Program is proud to have already led to the development of more than 1,000 theses and dissertations in the areas of Structures and Geotechnics, involving graduate students from different locations in the country (in addition to the Federal District, former students came from all the states of the country, except for Amapá, Acre, Rondônia and Roraima).
Until 2013, 179 graduate alumni from the Department are part of different Education and Research Institutions in the country and abroad (57 Brazilian Universities, 18 Latin American Universities and 7 North American Universities) , and some of these students significantly contributed to the implementation of graduate programs in civil engineering in various institutions in the country.
From a lato sensu (specialization) graduate course, developed in partnership with the University of Braunschweig, Germany, in 2007, with the support of the German Academic Exchange Service (DAAD), the course of Professional Masters in Urban and Professional Engineering was created in 2009, after having received a recommendation from accrediting agencies Capes (Brazil) and ASIIN (Accreditation Agency for Degree Programs in Engineering, Informatics, the Natural Sciences and Mathematics), from Germany. This course provides double diploma, through the University of Braunschweig, with the European Community.
FACULTY: MAIN TEACHING STAFF AND FOREIGN CONTRIBUTIONS
From the beginning of the 70’s, the CTC / PUC-Rio, with the support of the federal government, implemented a training policy for its faculty, encouraging their teachers to go abroad for a Ph.D.. Until a permanent minimum teaching staff, working full-time, was installed in the late 70’s and early 80’s, highly qualified, contributed to the implementation and development of the Graduate Program in Civil Engineering of DEC/ PUC-Rio.